Tuesday 24 November 2009

How Plants are Trained to Work for Man



"Land-Molluscs are a great perplexity to me," Darwin wrote.  The man whose life work revolved around the "ethnography of communication" dies of Alzheimer's disease.  A woman's body curved into the shape of a shell, a photo her husband took, "after eight months we are closer together than ever. Already I have reached certain heights reached with no other love."
 Ferocity and gentleness, a grand
articulation. Bags I can't unpack,
sheets I don't know what to do with,
only don't wash them.
Burbank and a pack of seeds, a new strain.
Specimens, general and specific.
Each morning I woke in my bed;
you listened to me while we ate lunch,
I watched for your return. Discovered
a species, spoke in space, pictures
in my mind that make me gasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment