Monday 1 June 2009

"Love in the Time of Swine Flu"


Such was the title of C.P.'s address to the wedding party in Mexico this weekend. I spent one full day in the country, said "No, gracias" more times than I care to remember, saw the Mayan ruins, didn't drink the water, liked the iguanas (seen here above my head at chichen itza), and tried to imagine what it would be like to have gone to Mexico with these college friends when we were actually in college, like so many people do. I returned to NY to see on the obit page the death of Millvina Dean, last survivor of the Titanic, next to Philip C. Bolger, "Prolific Boat Designer." Coincidence? Also, the Jewish American Girl doll caught some more media attention when it was discovered that her name, Rebecca Rubin, is also the name of a woman wanted by the F.B.I. The real-life Ms. Rubin also goes by Little Missy, a name I know I've been called more than a few times. The F.B.I. hopes that the new doll will help attract attention to their wanted woman.

Before I left for Mexico, I made a stop at Book Court on Court Street in Cobble Hill and picked out my first Wilkie Collins novel, choosing The Woman in White over The Moonstone--at least to start with. When I saw my coach today, he was carrying around a copy of the latter, and we agreed to a switch when we're through. I've intended to try Collins for several years now but just never got around to it. Already, he's amused me with various lines such as: "The lady is ugly!" and "This is a matter of curiosity; and you have got a woman for your ally." His current narrator also spends a fair amount of time discussing how humans fail to be innately influenced by nature in real life--only in books--then talks rhapsodically about his natural environment. What would Thoreau do?

No comments:

Post a Comment